Service Virtualization tools help software projects avoid inconsistencies like incoherent testing or development workflows, often this workflow incoherence is due to some team dependency issues. These tools have excellent quality, parallel development, and testing features and shrink the team dependency gap
Service Virtualization tools imitate any unavailable, internal, and external software dependencies in real-time. The imitations help development and testing teams to move forward with their usual task without getting stuck due to intra team dependencies.
In our previous article, we covered service virtualization. In continuation of that topic, this article would cover the 10 best service virtualization tools in 2021.
10 Best Service Virtualization Tools in 2021
There are several open-source and commercial Service Virtualization tool options. Each tool has its pros and cons.
If you want to know the major difference between open-source and commercial options. It would be:
- Open-source service virtualization tools give developers full exposure to their internal code, and developers can also contribute to the open-source tool’s development and maintenance process.
- The commercial tool might not be as flexible and transparent as that of the open-source tool.
- It is important to note that sometimes an open-source service virtualization tool may not have an important feature that a commercial service virtualization tool might provide.
Let us visit some popular service virtualization tools regardless of them being open-source or commercial software.
This tool provides comprehensive development and testing environment. It can easily and efficiently synthesize real software components and test dependencies.
- It provides an end-to-end test environment with live and stabilized system behaviors.
- It helps with detecting performance issues.
- It helps to manage complex environments.
- It supports multiple deployment options.
- It supports integrated API testing.
- It helps with efficient test data management.
- It provides easy service simulation even during limited resource access.
It is an easy-to-use API mocking and service virtualization tool designed for both developers and testers. It assists with faster testing and provides insightful backend APIs and third-party systems simulation.
Traffic Parrot Features:
- Easy to use with a simple web interface.
- It supports templating and scripting for dynamic response generation.
- It is flexible and easily configured using Maven or Gradle plugin.
- This tool is compatible with Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift and so on.
- It also supports and records HTTP(S), JMS, IBM MQ, and file transfer for replay.
UP9 is a test automation tool for microservices, Kubernetes, cloud-native and provides extensive test coverage.
- It helps with automating test-cases covering all services and service endpoints.
- It provides a thorough root-cause analysis.
- It helps with continuous monitoring of API contracts, business-logic, and service architecture.
- It helps with CI-ready test-code generation & maintenance as per service traffic.
- Its automatic API testing helps reduce the test workloads.
- It helps with detecting software regression.
WireMock is an HTTP based API simulator service virtualization tool (or a mock server).
- Provides hosted mock API services through MockLab.
- It has a powerful API URL request matching capability.
- Mocking an unavailable API helps with faster software testing and delivery rates.
This tool is known for API mocking and service virtualization. The tool assists you with maximum flexibility to configure a system behavior.
- It produces data on the fly.
- It provides a flexible virtual service share and deployable options.
- It allows easy to use virtual service creation.
- It assists with flexible deployment.
This service virtualization tool is part of Broadcom’s suite of Products. The tool imitates missing costly software components of an SDLC. It enhances project speed, shortens downtime, and enhances parallel working between the teams.
CA LISA Features:
- It can help with the easy creation of virtual services via XML request/response pair.
- It can be easily integrated with test automation and CI tools.
- Reduces software and lab infrastructure demands.
- It supports shift-left testing.
- It supports multiple protocols across front end, middleware, and backend technologies.
This tool can duplicate data and the application environment.
Micro Focus Features:
- It assists with API and virtual service simulations.
- It helps with early testing in an SDLC process.
- It provides a simplified studio for easy simulation.
- It can support multiple technologies.
- It can easily integrate with various tools and has a low total cost of ownership.
IBM Rational Test
It produces realistic testing data with automated performance and integration testing support.
IBM rational test Features:
- It provides detailed test coverage.
- It can virtualize application, service, and software.
- It produces re-sharable virtualized environments.
- It supports wide technology ranges.
It is an open-source tool with multi-protocol test execution capabilities.
- It is a cross-platform tool.
- It supports SMTP, HTTP, TCP, HTTPS testing.
- It supports API based mock testing.
- It provides easy handling of a virtual service environment.
This tool helps with enhancing software integration, automation, and performance.
Hoverfly cloud Features:
- Easily supports the most popular cloud providers – Azure, AWS, GCP.
- Test setup comes with virtualization services.
- It is a lightweight, easily accessible, and extendable service virtualization tool.
- It supports various platforms.
- Generates insightful reports.
Most organizations select service virtualization tools based on their project budget, features, project feasibility and compatibility. A good service virtualization tool keeps your SDLC teams’ dependency in sync and helping with a faster release.
Our Take on Service Virtualization Tools
Service virtualization has enhanced the SDLC productivity by a substantial level. It helps in:
- Swift software delivery with parallel testing.
- Early-stage defect detection saves a lot of project resources with limited development interruption.
- Software development cost reduction with possible pay-per-use service charges.
It is easy to scale up your digital business using service virtualization. A Forrester report suggests that service virtualization provides the following business benefits:
- Approximately saving 2,400 hours of software release time.
- Approximately saving $6 million in an SDLC project.
- Provides ROI of nearly 292%.
In case you are not sure about choosing the right service virtualization tool, please engage with us – We will start with rapid assessments and come up with a customized enablement plan.